Friday, September 10, 2010

Looking for Submissions

Welcome to the Autistic Adult App Project!

There's been quite a bit of news lately about how Apple's iPad and iPod Touch can assist Autistic children. This is all very excellent news, except for one thing; it's focused mainly on how to assist children, when there are plenty of Autistic adults who could benefit as well.

So what this project is about is to review iPad and iPod Touch apps that have the potential to help autistic adults as well as autistic children, but from the Autistic perspective.

By providing the Autistic perspective, parents and caregivers can be more informed about which Apps they provide their children, as well as sharing with other Autistic Adults new Apps that can help with social skills, organization, communication, academics, dealing with stress, and even just having fun.

We welcome Autistic adults to share their experiences regarding Apps on their iPads or iPod Touches, as well as parents and caregivers on the behalf of their Autistic children.

If you are interested, please take a look at the About the Project for our Mission Statement and our Submission guide page.

If you have any questions, feel free to email us at autisticaap@gmail.com.

Thanks!

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. We just spoke about this at our team meeting with our daughter yesterday. I have seen several articles about kids and iPads but nothing much for adults. Since my daughter is 22 and I am a geek, I am interested in using it to help her. So, as we find out more, we'll share what we find.
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. A laudable project, but are you going to list applicstions for Android OS-based systems, as well as Apples iProducts, or is this blog going to continue to recommend Apple applications only...?.
    The reason why I am asking this, is a British volenteer carer who works with disabled people, is that several companies are retailing Android O.S tablet systems in the U.K (Next currently sell a Android based tablet, & HMV are just about to do so), that are far cheaper than their Apple equivalents (a 32 GB iPad with 3G & Wi-fi functions costs some £700 to buy in the U.K...).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi gfieendish,
    As I've put on the Oct 14th post, yes, I am extending it to other systems and handheld pocket-computer devices.
    My only issue is that I don't personally own one of those devices and I don't have the money to buy them, but I'll welcome any reviews for them. The more choices for this, the better, I think, since not everything will always work for everyone.

    I also encourage people to submit reviews that may differ in opinion from mine; I want a wide range of opinions on things, so that there's a lot of information about different uses that people can find, all in one place.

    Since I am running this out of pocket, I don't have a lot of spare cash, which is why I go for the cheapest versions of apps to review. People with full versions are VERY welcome to write a review.

    ReplyDelete