Monday, September 24, 2012

ChipIn for School iPad

I remember back in 2003, when I was first setting out to university, it was suggested that I get both a laptop and a palm pilot.  Remember Palm Pilots?  I vaguely do.  From what I remember, I was to use one as a digital calender/schedule book to keep me on track.  Given the recent developments in technology, I'm not sure whether they're even still made nowadays.

PalmPilot
I was suppose to use a laptop as a glorified typewriter, to take class notes and write essays on.  I wasn't too keen on that, given how bulky, heavy and expensive laptops were (and still kinda are).  My parents and I found a compromise, getting me a Dana from AlphaSmart.
AlphaSmart Dana, now known as NEO


Basically it was a PalmPilot with a full keyboard and a big enough memory that I could type up research, pieces of essays, and some class notes with ease.  It would sync with a computer and transfer a document into, well, any open window.  I had a note taker in class, so I mainly used my Dana for research.  I'd go into the library, find passages of information I needed, then copy it down with references.  It was light-weight enough that I could take it to school regularly in my backpack.  Unfortunately, the battery passed on some time ago.

Now, my needs have changed over the years, as I've gone from being on campus all the time, to being on campus occasionally.  I need something less like a Dana, and more like a laptop, without being as bulky and heavy (cause yes, they are still that) as one.  I need something that I can take to my intensive sessions, whether for two weeks or a weekend, that has the assistive technology of my full computer and iPod, but can do notes and be portable.

People have suggested I get an iPad.   To be honest, I've thought about it, for over a year now.  At IMFAR, I got to see iPads in action.  For the past year, I've browsed through iPad apps and sighed as I wishlisted them.  Every chance I got, I'd test out the display models in stores.  And in long last, I have decided that I should get an iPad.

It's light and portable.  It has full keyboard and word processing capabilities.  It has apps, for functioning, stress relief and communication, plus testing apps for the Autistic Adult App Project.  It'll be used for school and education purposes only.

The only issue is money.  I'm a low-income student, with a part-time job and two courses.  I could maybe afford the apps that I need for on the iPad, but I can't afford the iPad itself.  So, I've started up a ChipIn.  I'll be grateful for whatever people donate.  Every little bit helps!

1 comment: